The Park at Harlinsdale Farm
Harlinsdale Farm has been called the most significant historic farm associated with the modern Tennessee Walking Horse industry. In 1933, W.W. Harlin established the farm on the northern outskirts of great renown in the fledging Tennessee Walking Horse Industry. As famous as the farm itself is its prize stallion Midnight Sun. This famous horse became the first repeat World Grand Champion. The success of Midnight Sun in the ring and as a sire has never been matched by any other Tennessee Walking Horse. Even today, most champion Walking Horses trace their lineage to Midnight Sun.
Harlinsdale Farm walkwayFrom the 1940’s until the present day, the farm has served mainly as a breeding operation, run by the Harlin Family. In 2004, the Harlin Family expressed interest in selling the 200 acre farm to the City of Franklin, understanding that the property would be developed as a passive park while maintaining and protecting the Walking Horse history. The City of Franklin readily agreed and began an extensive public planning process to design the master plan that would reflect the history of the farm, while including the wants and needs of the public.
The City opened the park’s first phase for the Community’s enjoyment on September 22, 2007. All activities at the park are limited to passive activities such as walking and picnicking. Park Entrance onto the 200 acres is located inside the Public Parking area. The Park is closed from dark to dawn daily.