It is the mission of the Fort Negley Visitors Center to promote a greater understanding of the social, political, and military forces central to Nashville and Middle Tennessee during the era of sectional conflict in American history. The Fort Negley Visitors Center is a historical education and outdoor recreation center of the Nashville Metropolitan Board of Parks and Recreation. Fort Negley is a place where people and history come together. It is a place to learn that we are a part of history and not apart from it. The visitors center is a resource for exploring the delicate relationship between Nashville and the Federal Government during the Civil War and for learning about the site's relevance in the 20th century and beyond.
Offerings and Services
- Interactive exhibits and two 20-minute videos covering the 1862 surrender of Nashville and the building of Fort Negley
- Education panels along paved paths for self-guided walking tours
- Educated staff and volunteers available to answer questions
- Programming for school field trips and scout groups, history and nature education events, tours for scheduled groups, and living history events
- A great place to walk and bring a leashed dog
- A great view of the city during park hours
- Home of the Nashville Civil War Roundtable and Fort Donelson Camp 62, Sons of Union Veterans
- Fort Negley is in South Nashville two miles from the entertainment, music, and sports venues of Lower Broadway in Downtown Nashville.
The Friends of Fort Negley Gift Shop, located in the visitors center, offers a variety of Civil War related books and collectibles. All proceeds benefit the site.
The Park is open year round from dawn to dusk for self-guided walking tours. Sites maps are available in the mailbox posted behind the stone gates. Restrooms are available during visitors center hours of operation.
Visitors Center Hours of Operation
Winter Hours (September - May)
Tuesday - Friday: Noon - 4:00 p.m.
Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
And by Appointment
Summer Hours (June - August)
Tuesday - Thursday: Noon - 4:00 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 9:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
And by Appointment